Thursday, November 6, 2008

IEP Minutes Comment Response

I am so relieved to know I have at least one reader. :) Thank you for taking the time to post the comment below. I understand exactly the message you are conveying. I have been there and done that on several occasions and you are right. It is very difficult to take quality notes when you are conducting the meeting. The minutes can and most likely should be taken by another district IEP team member so the case manager can effectively lead the meeting. Minute taking can even be a group effort if needed. Recently, an assistant principal and I passed the notes back and forth between us as we participated in a special review conducted by the case manager. I know several guidance counselors who are more than willing to take excellent notes when asked. They have sat in on enough meetings to understand the importance and rationale of the task. I will send out a Word document of the tips I posted yesterday so you can offer them to your notetaker at the next meeting. Again, thanks for the comment!

The MAJOR problem I find with minutes of an IEP meeting is taking them. Teachers are there to participate and in many cases are unable to stay through the entire meeting because they too have a class to attend to. Adm. may enter a meeting intending to stay but get called away during a meeting for discipline or duty and return later. The only person who knows what needs to go in the minutes is the caseholder and it is EXTREMELY to manage and direct a meeting while attempting to take minutes at the same time. This prolongs the meeting to an unrealistic time length. How can this be accomplished with less inconvenience for all participants? I already do as you suggest by completing most of the information prior to the beginning of the meeting. Is it possible for guidance counselors to attend a brief orientation on what needs to be in minutes and perhaps we could utilize them more during the meeting? Just a thought. I get really stressed knowing that the minutes are a vital part of the IEP. Thanks.

No comments: