Wednesday, February 11, 2009

A Visit to Keowee Elementary

Yesterday I had the privilege of reading to Mrs. Worsencroft's first grade class at Keowee Elementary School in celebration of Scarf Down a Book Day. I chose "I Love You the Purplest" by Barbara M. Joosse. The descriptive language and beautiful pictures immediately engaged the students and I sensed I had each one's attention and anticipation. Her class was very well mannered and respectful. It was obvious their teacher had instilled a love for books in each child's heart. It was the highlight of my day!
I was also able to observe some effective coteaching that took place in a fourth grade classroom during a math lesson. The teachers practiced the lead and support model. The students participated in a lesson utilizing technology and manipulatives while working on real life math problems. Students needing extra support were seated at the front of the classroom. The resource teacher monitored their work informally and provided assistance as warranted. It was differentiated instruction at its finest.

No comments: