Wednesday, January 21, 2009

Commitment


From chapter 3 of The 21 Indispensable Qualities of a Leader, John C. Maxwell points out that commitment separates doers from dreamers and there are only four types of people:
1. Cop-outs. "People who have no goals and do not commit"
2. Holdouts. "People who don't know if they can reach their goals, so they're afraid to commit."
3. Dropouts. "People who start toward a goal but quit when the going gets tough."
4. All-outs. "People who set goals, commit to them, and pay the price to reach them."
Which one are you?
"People do not follow uncommitted leaders. Commitment can be displayed in a full range of matters to include the work hours you choose to maintain, how you work to improve your abilities, or what you do for your fellow workers at personal sacrifice."--Stephen Gregg, Chairman and CEO of Ethix Corporation

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Wow, the "Commitment" chapter really hit home this week. I am definately an "all out" person for my program with the sacrafices included. I work long hours and I am totally committed. I set goals for my program,for my students, and I feel that I am paying the price for advocating daily. I feel that sometime being the "all out" doer isn't welcomed.